Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Katy and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

So today was definitely one of those days. I got sick on Saturday, but with a whole lot of homework due Monday and Tuesday I have been staying up late and getting up early and in general ignoring my health. Last night I stayed up late completing several assignments and getting a few prepared for the next day. I got up early today, but didn't get on to campus quite as early as I had hoped. I printed off my assignments that were due, went to buy a poster board for an english project due at 1:35, but didn't have time to print off my color pictures. My english project was a collage of pictures that I have taken over the last few years.

I went to class, met with a group after class to plan a presentation. I thought I had just enough time to print off my pictures before my next group meeting. But I remembered as I walked to the computer lab that it would be close because of devotional. So I just went back to the Eyring Science Center, met with my group, and was heading up to the library to find an open computer and a color printer around 11:30. Now don't get me wrong. I love devotional. In the past. However, today it was a BIG frustration. You see, all stores and computer labs on campus shut down during devotional. So I wandered around the library to those computers that were still open, but there wasn't an available computer. I ended up waiting in line for a computer for 15 minutes. While I was standing in line with 10 other people, I thought of all the nasty things I would say to that guy who surfing Facebook and that girl who wasn't even logged into the computer, but was using the desk to do other homework (you know, because the library is really sparse on tables without computers). Eventually, with no help from the jerks I already mentioned, I get to a computer, pull up my picture files and try to print them. Apparently trying to print so many pictures at once made the printer freak out. First the file didn't even show up at the kiosk. I resent it, went back to the kiosk and this time it showed up twice. I stood at the printer for a 5 minutes, but it never printed. I decided to go downstairs to a different printer, thinking that a printing area that wasn't so busy might print it faster. It didn't. I waited, and it didn't print. On my way out of the library, I stopped by the first printer to see that two of my eight pages had actually printed, but it was taking too long, and the prints didn't even look good. (This fiasco at the library cost me about 6 dollars, with only two pages of low quality prints to show for it)

At this point, I decided to go to Cougar Creations and print it there, because those printers are much more expensive, and maybe won't breakdown on me. At that time, it was about 12:05 (meaning my project was due in exactly 1.5 hours). Turns out Cougar Creations doesn't open until 12:15. In the meantime, I walked to the bookstore and bought some glue (because I was an idiot and forgot to bring glue with me that morning). After this point, things finally started to work for me. My pictures printed, somewhat slowly, but they looked nice. I arranged and glued them to my poster board, wrote my project summary, printed off a few scriptures for my presentation (because, again, I was an idiot and forgot to bring my scriptures) and arrived at my class at 1:37.

As I was going about my day, trying to think of as many negative adjectives as I could, I was reminded of a book I read as a child called "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day."

My teacher liked my presentation, so it all barely worked out in the end. So I guess the day wasn't quite as horrible and terrible after all.

Thank you for listening to me complain.


JulieD said...

Oh, Katy. I'm so sorry your day was so stressful! If it makes you feel better, I had an awful time giving blood yesterday, fainted, and threw up 7 times, and had to spend the entire day, skipping class and work, and laying around on the couch, and am now behind in everything. But I did get a lot of blogging and TV-watching done :)

Asher and Amy said...

Boy do I not miss College when you remind me of the stress. Sorry about your day. Hope your weekend is better. I had a few frustrations with devotional time as well. Never changes!